How To: SailPoint IdentityNow – Use Workflows for Automating Tasks
In 2022, SailPoint released a powerful new feature in IdentityNow called Workflows. (This should not be confused with the existing core concept of workflows which are used for life cycle management and provisioning.) If the Workflows feature is enabled for your tenant, it can be found in the Admin UI.
Whenever a specific, defined event occurs, a Workflow (e.g., a set of tasks that are automatically executed) is initiated. Workflows are a great way to automate processes in IdentityNow, especially now that they can be configured to respond to a trigger, also known as an Event Trigger. This cuts down on manual administration tasks and provides a way of automating and sending alerts in real time.
The technical aspects of a workflow are handled with JSON (JSONpath) however most of a workflow can be designed and administered via the User Interface. While Workflow uses a no-code model, it does require a basic understanding of JSON and can get quite complex. The following is a useful example of a Workflow that automates the time-consuming task of checking if any Source aggregations have failed:
1. Select [+New Workflow]:
2. Select [Build a New Workflow]:
3. Give the Workflow the Name*, “Account Aggregation Alert”, and the Description, “Account Aggregation Alert Workflow”,and select [Continue to Builder]:
4. You should see the following Workflow Builder screen with the Triggers tab, Actions tab and Operators tab. Locate the Trigger labeled “Account Aggregator Completed” and drag it into the blank space at the center of the console:
5. From the left side panel, drag and dropthe Actions and Operators and configure them underneath the Trigger as follows (the tool itself will help you along with the available options):
6. Select the Trigger box and, if needed, fill in the fields below, to the right (NOTE: there is no filter for the Trigger included in this example, it is included for comprehensiveness):
7. Select the Operator box and fill in the fields with the below values (to the right):
8. Select the Action box, located under ☑True, labeled Send Email, and fill in the fields with the below values (to the right):
9. Select the Action box, located under ☒ False, labeled Send Email, and fill in the field with the Recipient Email Addresses* box by typing a name (of the email you wish to send the results to) until it appears in the field below it (to the right):
10. Select the Operator box, labeled End Step – Failure, and fill in the fields, as shown, with the below values (to the right):
11. Select the Operator box, labeled End Step – Success, and fill in the fields, as shown, with the below values (to the right):
12. When completed, select [Save] and then [Test Workflow].
13. You will return to the Current Step 1. Setup screen. From the lower right, select, [Start Test].